Wednesday 23 May 2012

First solo flight

I'm not one for sharing everything about my life on social media but I like to share interesting things.

One of my passions is flying and I am currently studying towards obtaining my PPL.

I conducted my first solo flight at the beginning of the month which was one of the most rewarding experiences ever. Having racked up around 15 hours flight time, my instructor thought it would be a good idea to let me loose in a plane.

So when arrived I was briefed on my solo and what to expect and what to do if all goes horribly wrong - thankfully it didn't.

After the brief, I did the usual once around the plane checks and then we hopped in, checked out with the tower and then took off.

Mid-way into my first circuit, 3 sleazyjet planes decide that they all want to land one after the other which meant that I had to orbit the airport for 15 mins before I could continue my landing/takeoff circuit. Once they had landed I then had to take an extended approach due to the wake turbulence caused by the jets.

On the first circuit, I was troubled with moderate crosswinds which made landing tricky and consequently my 2 further landings weren't brilliant. Also, on takeoff into my 2nd circuit my door flew open at 400ft so I was glad the instructor was on hand to help out and grab the controls so I could prevent myself plunging to my miserable demise.

After the 3rd circuit my instructor hopped out and said "off-you go!". So I did, although as I started to taxi towards the runway I got that feeling you get when you first learn to drive and you try to over-analyse everything you are doing with your feet and arms. Consequently I started off all over the place but when I composed myself I was fine. Perfect straight and smooth take-off on runway 06, up over Rochford and Stambridge into a nice clear circuit @1000ft, no sleazyjets or any other traffic. Then a turn onto base and then final approach culminating in a perfectly straight and smooth landing back onto runway 06.

Karma is a wonderful thing though - as I landed there was a EasyJet 737 waiting at the hold to taxi onto the runway - and I was delaying its departure :-) brilliant.

I was then cleared to vacate the runway and hold behind another boeing 737 whose jet engines caused my plane to swing in the wind a bit. Then taxi back to the flying club where my rather relieved instructor was waiting for me. An amazing experience and really excited about racking up some more solo hours.



Good ole Lima Whiskey for getting me back down to the ground safely

Pictures do not do it justice - taken on the father's mobile phone through chicken wire. The next post will have better photos!

No comments:

Post a Comment