Friday 22 June 2012

Online gaming - friend or foe?

Being a geeky technologist I have always kept abreast of new technologies, primarily those intended for learning. However, one area that I have only dipped my toe into until now is online gaming. I have had experience of using SecondLife and I remember in my university days, my mate in halls roping me in for 2 days playing a strategy game called Rise of Nations - I did not eat sleep or wash in that time. Back in 2003 however, I remember being mesmerised by the fact I could play a game with someone else over the internet, even though it wasn't really a new concept then.

Anyway 9 years on and my partner decides to buy my affection by purchasing an Xbox 360. Seriously..dangerous move. It is so easy to get connected to online gaming - almost effortless. Within minutes you are immersed in amazing gameplay, with limitless depth it seems as a result of a non-linear free for all that is online multiplayer. It is dangerous, because time just seems to elapse and before you know it the sun has risen and fallen and you are still sitting around in your pants, nothing achieved but the satisfaction of scoring more points in your last multiplayer deathmatch (depending on what game you are playing of course). Putting the negatives of computer gaming on young health and development aside, I was amazed and a little embarrassed by firstly having my ass whooped, but secondly and more importantly by a lad probably no more than a third of my age, as they chuckle and taunt down their microphone enabled headset.

However, I did take away positives in the context of using this technology for learning. Going around shooting people in an online game is good mindless fun, but not completely mindless. I was astounded that groups of what seems to be online friends or squads working together and really well thought out strategies and pincer movements that even Patton would have been proud of. So while many discredit computer games for playing a part in the downfall of our modern youth, actually, if you can harness and engage their attention through online gaming to achieve learning outcomes what is the problem? Why not develop online gaming that has hidden educational goals? Creating online environments where pupils and students have to work together in real-time to solve problems or achieve common goals? Ultimately that is what our industry wants, no? People who can communicate, teamwork, lead others etc?

 One slight issue though - teachers will need more power to restrain pupils in the event of this happening..
 

No comments:

Post a Comment